29 November 2010

Personal Touch

Welcome to the Neighborhood News

Today in our Personal Touch with Rebecca Cressman segment she talks to Laura. Laura F. Willes has always loved history. The Salt Lake City native holds a degree in American Studies from the University of Minnesota and has published two books that trace the history of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Minnesota and California, Minnesota Mormons and Community of Faith. Her latest publication, Christmas with the Prophets, looks back at how former presidents of the LDS Church celebrated Christmas. Through anecdotes, poetry, and personal histories, the book shares Christmas traditions of LDS prophets from Joseph Smith to Thomas S. Monson. Laura has been an early-morning seminary teacher, Gospel Doctrine teacher, and stake Relief Society president, and she served a full-time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints with her husband, Mark, as he presided over the Hawaii Honolulu Mission. She and her husband are the parents of five children and grandparents of twenty.



http://www.sugardoodle.net/sdclipart/
 Isn’t this time of year great for singing our praises to the Lord? And unless we actually are part of a singing group, like a church, seminary, or institute choir, we don’t think about it until the bishop stands in testimony meeting and asks for volunteers to be part of the Christmas program, for the ward or stake.

I don’t have a good singing voice. I don’t have a singing voice at all. Please, don’t try to convince me that I do, or that I’m kidding myself, because people that know me and sit next to me when we sing in church know that I tell the truth. It’s one of those things that were not part of the original package. You have no idea how much I admire those people that can stand in front of a small group, or a big group of people, and just belt it out.

I think it’s such a great talent to have. I feel very glad when I hear my children sing, simply because they got their good singing voices from my husband. I feel so much tenderness when I hear him sing. He has many accomplishments, but when he sings, he touches me deeply.

If you can sing, don’t hide it, share it with others. In my opinion, it’s one of the best gifts to give to the Savior.

To view a copy of the Neighborhood News for Monday, 29 November, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by the Neighborhood Blog. Please leave a comment, we love hearing from our readers.