04 May 2011

Bless Your Nest

Welcome to the Neighborhood News

Ere you left your room this morning,
Did you think to pray?...
When your soul was full of sorrow,
Balm of Gilead did you borrow
At the gates of day?
O how praying rest the weary!
Pray will change the night to day;
So when life gets dark and dreary
Don't forget to pray.
Hymns, # 31


The first commandment says: “And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.” (Mark 12:28–30; see Matt. 22:37; Luke 10:27; Deut. 6:4–5.)

We are at times overwhelmed by our bodies, and our bodies determine how we’re going to act or react to different situations.

PresidentBoyd K. Packer has said the following: “There is another part of us, not so tangible, but quite as real as our physical body. This intangible part of us is described as mind, emotion, intellect, temperament, and many other things. Very seldom is it described as spiritual.” In the world we live in, most people don’t want to acknowledge the presence of a spirit, or talk about a soul. Isn’t that interesting?

Another thought from the same talk: “All of us experience some temporary physical sickness. All of us now and again may be spiritually ill as well. Too many of us, however, are chronically spiritually sick.”

Have you ever been down with the ‘blues’ and didn’t know how to let go of those feelings? It happens to the best of us. We all, at some point in our lives will go through our own version of Gethsemane. How we manage to shake those feelings will say a lot about our character.

President Packer said: “Obedience is a powerful spiritual medicine. It comes close to being a cure-all.” (same)

So, what are things that we can use to get through a harsh trial, and show obedience at the same time:

1-      Attend Church. The fact that you’re trying and participating in the Sacrament will help you get through the week.

2-      Say Your Prayers. Even if you don’t feel like it, as soon as you get on your knees, the Spirit will come to you and guide you on how to talk to your Father.

3-      Read Your Scriptures. Even if it is one verse a day, you’re showing Heavenly Father that you’re obedient. The blessing of understanding will come over you.

4-      Fast For Yourself. Use the principle of fasting to your advantage, you will be blessed. I have.

5-      Attend the Temple. This is a big one. I remember going through a heart break a few years ago. I was a spiritual vegetable, I was just going through the motions; I couldn’t function. My calling at the time was just as an organist, and that was a blessing in itself, because I don’t know if I could have been able to prepare, teach and share testimony during a lesson: it was beyond me. My loving husband would take me to the temple and that’s where I found my own Balm of Gilead. The promptings, the love bestowed on me by the Spirit and the many tender mercies I received there of the Most High is something that will carry me for a long time. If for any reason I allow myself to feel down again, I remember those precious moments of quiet contemplation sitting in the Celestial room, enveloped by the soft reassurance that I am loved.

6-      Forgive. It will do wonders for you. Miracles happen when people forgive one another. Even if it’s one-sided, forgive and move on, you will notice your load seems lighter.

My question is: isn’t your soul important enough to save? Some of us take very good care of our bodies, but we somehow forget about our spirits and spiritual lives. Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

I hope we all take better care of our immortal souls.

 As always we welcome your comments.

To view a copy of the Neighborhood News for Wednesday 4 May, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by the Neighborhood Blog. Please leave a comment, we love hearing from our readers.