30 May 2011

Sticking It Out

Welcome to the Neighborhood News

http://www.thinkstockphotos.com/

Sometimes something (anything) will bring up to mind a well of memories and emotions. It could be a smell, a sight or sound. In the following story, Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve is reminiscing about an outing with his young son, when they went to a baseball game. Years later, Elder Perry’s son gifted him with a signed bat. This story is taken from Making Memories, printed in the Ensign, August 1993:

"We arrived home at 2:30 A.M. I wasn’t at my best in the meetings the following day, but I had a lasting memory to cherish. Now a piece of wood, a baseball bat, stands in the corner of my office to remind me of a father-son relationship filled with so many great memories.
"I remember taking a little child from his mother’s arms and carrying him to the front of the congregation of Saints and there giving him a name and a father’s blessing. …. I remember how important it was on his eighth birthday when I could take him into the waters of baptism and then bring him out, again exercising the priesthood, allowing me to confirm him a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Four years later came another memory, for then I was serving as a member of the bishopric, and I was empowered to use my priesthood to place my hands on his head and confer the Aaronic Priesthood upon him and ordain him to the office of a deacon.
"So it went, on through the priesthood offices of teacher and priest. He reached the great age of nineteen, and now I found myself holding the office of a stake president. I was now able to assign myself to confer the Melchizedek Priesthood upon my son and ordain him to the office of an elder. Then came the thrill of setting him apart as a full-time missionary and sending him off to Japan to serve the Lord.
"Shortly after he returned from a successful mission, I was called to be a General Authority. With that call, the sealing power was conferred, and some five years later my son and a beautiful young lady were kneeling before me in the holy temple, and I was sealing them together as husband and wife for time and for all eternity.
"It doesn’t stop there. The two of them were soon on their way east to New Haven, Connecticut, to attend school. One night I received a telephone call from my son. He said, 'Dad, how fast can you make it to New Haven?' I asked him what the problem was. He said, 'No problem. I’m being called into the bishopric on Sunday, and I want you to ordain me to the office of high priest.' So I went to New Haven to make another unique memory.
"A few years later I returned from a stake conference assignment and received another telephone call. My son told me, 'Elder Marvin J. Ashton of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has just called me to be a stake president. He knows our history. He said he would not dare put his hands on my head to set me apart to the new office. Can you drive to Provo and set me apart?' What great memories of a father-son relationship this piece of wood holds for me!”

Memories are worth making and having. We should spend our time making lasting memories. We wish you a good time with your family on this Memorial Day.
As always we welcome your comments.

To view a copy of the Neighborhood News for Monday 30 May, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by the Neighborhood Blog. Please leave a comment, we love hearing from our readers.