28 May 2008

Blogger ∙ Rebecca Talley - Missionary

Let me introduce you to Rebecca Talley, our blogger for the yourLDSNeighborhood Missionary Block. Rebecca is an amazing woman and writer with a son serving a mission right now. She is from the area of the country where my mother grew up and her sister is married to my cousin. All this and I've only known her a couple of years. How bizarre is that?

I am thrilled Rebecca agreed to take on blogging for the Missionary Block. She has a unique perspective that I enjoy very much.

Rebecca was born and raised in Santa Barbara, California. She spent countless hours swimming in the ocean, collecting shells, and building sandcastles. She graduated from BYU with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications. She now lives in rural Colorado with her husband, 8 of her 10 kids, goats, and a llama named Tina. Her stories have been published in children's magazines, including The Friend. She is the author of the children's picture book Grasshopper Pie (WindRiver 2003) and the LDS novel Heaven Scent (Cedar Fort 2008). She loves chocolate, ice cream, and dancing to disco music while she cleans the house.

Here's an interview with Rebecca to help you get to know her better:

1. What brought you to the Blogging World and what is your favorite thing about blogging?

I started blogging about a year ago when I was offered a contract to publish my novel, "Heaven Scent." I like the immediacy of blogging and the opportunity to connect with readers through the comments. I also enjoy the less-formal environment.

2. What intrigues you the most about blogging for yourLDSneighborhood?

I'm intriqued with the idea of connecting with more people who share my beliefs and learning from them. It's exciting to think about connecting with someone who lives in another part of the world.

3. What is your favorite thing about yourLDSneighborhood?

I love how everything is organized, it's so intuitive. I also love the graphics. I'm looking forward to seeing it grow.

4. Tell us a little about yourself: What your likes, dislikes, hobbies, hopes, dreams, etc . . .

I love to swim in the ocean, ride horses, and spend time with my family. I love ice cream, chocolate, and licorice. I still listen to disco music while I clean the house and iron. I enjoy knitting and home redecorating.

I hate weeds, mice, and snakes. I despise ironing, though I do it every week. I don't enjoy extreme weather or the wrinkles creeping across my face.

I love to watch my kids play and share their talents. My greatest dream is to be with my family forever.

5. Tell us something unique about yourself.

I have a serious addiction to newborn babies. I love how they smell, the squeaks they make, and how they snuggle up to my neck.

6. What has been your greatest challenge to date?

Realizing I'm getting older and won't be able to have newborn babies forever.

7. What books/projects/songs are you working on right now?

I'm working on an LDS romance novel and my ongoing project is raising my kids. I'm also writing magazine stories and articles for children.

8. What obstacles have you run into?

Time. There never seems to be enough time to do all that I need and want to do.

9. What advice do you have all the browsers in Blogland?

Find subjects that you're passionate about and make connections with others who share your passion.

10. If you had three minutes to give advice to someone headed into danger, what would it be?

Stop. Think about what you're doing and the consequences of your choice. Think about other options--there are always options. Pray about your choice.

I"m so happy to welcome Rebecca to our Neighborhood Bloggers. She's doing a fantastic job. You can check out her blogs on Missionary work and Missionaries every Monday and Thursday in the Newsstand on the Missionary Block of the Neighborhood.

Return to the Neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by the Neighborhood Blog. Please leave a comment, we love hearing from our readers.